Do you like travelling?
What places are you going to visit next summer?
This is a list of vocabulary items related to means of transport / travel
Means of travel or means of transport refer to the different kinds of transport facilities that atre often used to transport people or cargo.
1. Write the corresponding name for each means of transport:
Useful means of tranport expressions
Travelling by ...
bus / coach
catch / get on
depart / leave
corridor / aisle
catch / get on / board
coach / bus
depart / leave
get on / board
get off / disembark
passenger jet / airplane
quay / dock
The road / the highway / the port / the airport
- Arrival / departure time
- Where's the information desk, please?
- A journey is travelling from one place to another, especially in a vehicle.
- Flight 474 to Buenos Aires is now boarding at gate 9
- I love going on long journeys.
At the airport
- Show me your passport, please!
- You've got a lot of baggage! Why don't you use the baggage cart
- How much is a one-way ticket (British usually single) to New York?
- If you make a round trip, you go on a journey and return to where you started from.
- A journey in an aircraft is a flight. Flight also means an aircraft that is making a particular journey
- First class / Business class / Economy class
- What time does the plane for.... take off / land?
- Check-in is the place at an airport where you show your ticket so that you can be told where you will be sitting.
At the train station
- How much is a ticket to...?
- Where is the station?
- Where can we buy tickets?
- What time will the train to...leave?
- Where is platform number ...?
By ship / boat
- A ferry (boat) is a boat or ship for taking passengers and often vehicles across an area of water, especially as a regular service.
- We're going across to France by/on the ferry.
- A cruise is a journey on a large ship for pleasure, during which you visit several places
By bus / coach
- Where is the the bus station, please?
- When does the bus leave for...?
- How many stops before...?
- Where can I park my car?
- Can I park my car here?
- Where can I rent a car?
- I would like to rent a car for.... days / weeks.
- A garage is a place where cars are repaired.
2. Do the exercise below on the means of transport and click on the button to check your answers. Choose the right words:
Means of Transport
Fill in all the gaps, then press "Check" to check your answers. Use the "Hint" button to get a free letter if an answer is giving you trouble. You can also click on the "[?]" button to get a clue. Note that you will lose points if you ask for hints or clues!